Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Artisan Interview - Megan - Rue Design

This is 5th in a series of artisan interviews of the members of Primo's Pawtourage. Meet Megan of Rue Design on Etsy. Rue Design is also a member of Handmade Louisiana.

  1. Do you work full time crafting or have an outside job too? How do you balance your time between them? How did you get started crafting?

    I work full-time all the time; lol.Yes, I work full-time as a Web Designer at Louisiana State University and manage to sneak in some time to craft art with my hands. I have always made things. I can remember at the ripe old age of 4 positioning my sister's Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls and drawing a portrait of them with my box of crayons.
  2. What inspires you in crafting?

    Whether it's my family, the way the clouds roll by, or the smell of chocolate, I believe that inspiration surrounds me all the time and seeps into my subconscious and later reveals itself in the final product.
  3. What is something you have learned in your business that you would like to share with us?


    Patience and persistence are two definite traits that I'm learning to foster. Also, believing in yourself and having a support system when you're feeling down is invaluable to your business.
  4. Megan, you are currently involved with creating handpainted dog place mats for Primo’s Pawtourage doggie gift bags. Can you tell us a little about the process making them?

    Each place mat is created individually with a collage of elements including decorative papers, acrylic paints, markers and glue. I begin with a blank canvas literally. It's the same heavy duty canvas I use to hand paint custom floor cloths/rugs. I then begin applying the decorative art papers to create a background. Next the borders and graphics are hand painted. Finally I paint the text on the graphics and highlight the edges with metallic markers, seal with water-based floor sealer, glue edges, and mat is signed to create a finished product. Each place mat is unique and no two are identical.
  5. Do you share your home with dogs or other pets, if so, what kind and tell us about them.

    Of course I do. I have always loved animals and have filled my home and life with them. We have two dogs and two cats and one rogue jungle kitty that visits us on occasion. The dogs are Tyrone, my 12 year old chocolate Doberman baby, and Velma, a Golden Retriever mix found roaming my grandmother's yard. Our cats that we see on a regular basis are Katie, 12 year old fluffy gray bunny missing a leg and tail due to car accident when she was a kitten, and Rainy, another rescue we adopted. Finally, my other baby cat is LuLu. He disappeared a couple of years ago, but we have seen him a couple of times at the edge of our yard. I have a suspicion that he lives at many neighbor's homes; whoever has the best food.
  6. Where would you like to be in 5 years with your crafting business?

    We all have dreams and I would love to work full time creating with my hands from my home. Also, everyone in my family has their own business; it's in our blood.
  7. Tell us a little about you…are you married, favorite things to do when you are not working?

    I am married to the most amazing man; Trey. This April we will have been together for 10 years; what a long 10 years; just kidding. We have 2 precious little rug rats. Aiden is 4 and he knows all his letters and words. Taylor is 11 months old and she can break glass with the shrill of her squeals. When I'm not working, creating art, being a wife, being a mother; hmmm... I don't remember having free time. Actually pre-babies, I used to teach middle-eastern dance (belly dance).
  8. One of Primo’s Pawtourage projects is a donated bag to the American Maltese Association Rescue Raffle at their National Specialty in May in Atlanta. Have you done other charity work? Would you like Primo’s Pawtourage to contribute to other dog breed rescue efforts?

    My husband worked for many veterinarians throughout college. Therefore, we have always rescued animals together. Our first date was at the zoo! We have volunteered at Cat Haven; a local organization for the rescue of homeless and ferrel cats. I would really like for Primo's Pawtourage to expand to many other breeds; preferably Doberman Pinscher rescues. They are truly a misunderstood breed and are loyal beyond words.

    Megan, thank you for allowing me to interview you and thank you for being a part of Primo's Pawtourage! Best wishes and many success to you!










No comments: